It’s 7 am Friday, the start of Labor Day weekend, and family fun is on the backburner. As regional supply manager for 10 grocery stores, your Labor Day seafood promotion is generating both social media excitement and real-world supply problems. You’ve contracted 10 reefers (one per store) from 3 small carriers to haul full truckloads of fresh-frozen salmon, shrimp, halibut, swordfish, and tuna from warehouses and DCs to your individual stores. Every shipment is scheduled to be completed by noon Friday. You are up against time and temperature – every load has specific temp requirements.
You receive verbal confirmation that six of the reefers have picked up their loads and are said to be on time. You cross your fingers. You have to call two separate dispatchers to find the status of the other four trucks. They’ll call and get back to you. You trust that all the loads will meet the temp requirements and are truly on time. You’ve received three Bills of Lading via fax, but nothing on the other seven. You receive a call that three more reefers have picked up their loads, but are running late. What about the tenth? That’s another call. You find out four shipments have reached their destinations, but two of the reefers don’t meet temp requirements. It’s gonna be a long day.
The LaneAxis Era
- The LaneAxis app starts real-time GPS tracking two hours prior to pickup, so you can instantly see six of the reefers are on time, and you can track their progress on a map.
- You’re soon notified when three other trucks enter their pickup geofences, and although running late, this allows you to adjust your delivery schedule accordingly.
- The drivers of all nine reefers utilize the LaneAxis app to submit photos of signed Bills of Lading and reefer temperature confirmations.
- What about the 10th missing truck? LaneAxis has already alerted the carrier, and another reefer has been dispatched for pickup.
- All 10 shipments are on their way, tracked in real-time, with real-time data, on whatever device you choose.
- 10 signed PODs soon hit your screen, all documentation is stored in a digital vault, and the seafood special is ready to hook your customers.